Let us talk about various developmental activities that are taking place after almost a decade in Grand Rapids Downtown.
At the September end the Studio Park is all set to have grand opening and therefore in this short writeup we shall discuss about the same.
Following are few of the important highlights to note:
- The cost of the development project will cost $160 million and will also mark return of movie theatres to the downtown Grand Rapids.
- They have added few Easter eggs to this project by keeping with the movie tradition of the Loek’s family.
- You may also notice the darker colour bricks which stand out while passing along this brick wall which is leading to theatres.
- All these are from old Studio 28.
- There is tradition in the address of Studio Park.
- During the 1930s, Loek’s family entered into theatres downtown and pioneered suburban theatres with Studio 28 during the 1960s.
- During the spring season of 2018 this site, there used to be 2 city parking at south of the Van Andel Arena.
- Together with 9-screen theatre, the complex is going to include 140 apartments.
- In this project, it will also include retail space, restaurants and parking garage having more than 900 car spaces and 200-seat music venue.
- At the public gathering spot which is dubbed as “The Piazza.” will be located at the heart of the Studio Park.
- There will also be a hotel, which is under construction at that site, and which is set to inaugurate during this year itself.
- In the coming few years condos and office tower is planned above the structure of the parking place.
As per Emily Loeks, who is Studio C director of the community affairs, when his grandpa started the business of theatre, it was just within downtown, but it was at the 123 Pearl Street which is now at 123 Ottawa.
Loeks further said that after 75 years, the downtown has come to full circle in few ways hence people are so excited. Many people consider that they have certain personal touch with this project.
As per Loeks, this project has generated lots of interest, as for last few decades people have been looking for few theatres in the downtown area.
Loeks also said that while visiting downtown and also because of this project which is also returning to the heart of this city, it is really going to be very exciting.